Alabama highways are among the deadliest in the nation for teen drivers,
second only to the state of Wyoming. According to the Alabama Department of
Public Safety, in 2008, teen drivers in Alabama were at fault in 27,261
crashes, resulting in 116 deaths.
Research shows that persons who begin driving under conditions that control
the number of passengers, restrict night driving, and forbid certain
distracting behavior such as cell phone usage, have fewer crashes, injuries,
Alabama Graduated Drivers License Law
Under the present law (enacted in July 2010) 16-17 year old Alabama driver's
with a Restricted License:
- may not have more than one non-family
member under the age of 21 in the car
- may not drive while operating any
non-essential handheld communication device
- may not operate a vehicle between 12:00
midnight and 6:00 a.m. unless...
- accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
- accompanied by a licensee 21 years of age or older with
- going to or from their place of work
- going to or from a school-sponsored event
- going to or from a religious-sponsored event
- driving due to a medical, fire or law enforcement
- driving to or from hunting/fishing activities in possession of
Violations will result in an extension of the graduated license period
and/or suspension of the license.
To better understand the law, watch this
Requirement for Each Stage of Graduated Driver's
What is VOICES doing?
- VOICES supports strengthening the current
teen driving law to match federal recommendations.
- VOICES led the successful effort that
resulted in the 2002 passage of Alabama’s first graduated teen driver’s
licensing law and the 2009 which went into effect in July 2010.
VOICES worked with pediatricians to educate
parents about new laws involving child passenger safety.
- VOICES partnered with the Departments of
Public Safety and Health as well as the Probate Judges to develop
GDL educational materials to be available at
driver’s licensing sites for parents and teens.
- VOICES is speaking at meetings and civic
clubs around the state to call attention to the GDL issue.
Driver's License (GDL) Factsheet
Graduated Driver's License Law - Video
FAQ - The Learner's License and Restricted License
Graduated Driver's License
Nationwide Review of Graduated Drivers Licensing
Schedule Road Skills Test
(Alabama Dept of Public Safetty) Synopsis of GDL Act#2010-735
Effective July 2010
Summary - 2010 Alabama Graduated Drivers Licensing
Teen Crash Report